Blog Journal #2

    I started using MS Word in elementary school and used it through most of middle school, until about 7th grade. I switched to using Google Docs, however, around that time. I switched to this because of the easy accessibility between multiple devices and having an ecosystem that allows for many different features without being drastically different from Word. As well, school-issued Chromebooks did not allow for Word access, making it the better software. I prefer it now because of the programs it has, like Forms and Classroom, that Microsoft doesn't, and that it is free.

    I am well versed in the ISTE standards, and my favorite standard is the 'Citizen' standard. This is because it allows students to learn and develop skills that will be lifelong and will help them not only inside the professional world but inside their leisure world. It is important to not only know which mediums to communicate through, but what tones are appropriate, the neutrality effect when typing, and many more things. As well, when students enter the workforce, it will allow them to be more well-versed in their communication and be more successful overall.

    I think that the term 'digital native' is a very true and real term. It is very well reflected in the comparison of Generation X vs. Generation Z. When a parent-child relationship between X and Z happens, typically X will reach out to Z about any technical issues that occur for them, while Z will typically search them up. To be a digital native means to be born in a time with easily accessible technology and have general knowledge of tech as a whole. I have seen many students teach teachers basic technology information that even people with less knowledge were aware of, showing the difference between immigrants and natives in technology. I feel as if there will be less of a difference between my students and me than there is between my teachers and me, as I am a native, and my students will be as well. As technology comes along though, I will have to adapt to keep up with the future youth that I teach, however.

Comments